Courtesy: Seattle Office of Arts & Culture

Cairn from the Lang Fountain

Seattle, Washington

Francois Stahly

Seattle Center (located in the Founder's Court, between Cornish Playhouse and Exhibition Hall), 305 Harrison St., Seattle, Washington, 98109
Date:  1962
Placement:  walkways
Artwork Type:  sculpture (visual work)
Material:  limestone
Description:  European sculpture artist Francois Stahly originally created this abstract carved stone column sculpture for the 1958 World’s Fair in Brussels, Belgium. Richard Lang, one of the founders of the Seattle 1962 World’s Fair, purchased the cairn in honor of his father Julius after seeing it at the fair in Brussels. A few years later, when Stahly was a visiting professor at the University of Washington, Lang commissioned him to integrate the sculpture into a larger fountain artwork that was to be located in Founders Court at Seattle Center. Stahly designed a series of large concrete basins to contain the pools of water. Once completed, the elevated cairn sculpture rested on top of the gently flowing water fountain. Years later, the fountain was removed and the carved stone sculpture was relocated to a site near the Cornish Playhouse courtyard.

Gift to the city of Seattle from Mrs. Julius C. Lang and Mr. and Mrs. Richard Lang.
plus-button-img

Follow Us